Thursday, May 20, 2010

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - Book Review #22

Thursday, May 20, 2010
Pride and Prejudice
by Jane Austen

In a remote Hertfordshire village, far off the good coach roads of George III's England, a country squire of no great means must marry off his five vivacious daughters. At the heart of this all-consuming enterprise are his headstrong second daughter Elizabeth Bennet and her aristocratic suitor Fitzwilliam Darcy—two lovers whose pride must be humbled and prejudice dissolved before the novel can come to its splendid conclusion.


I don’t know if I’m in any way entitled to write a review on such a celebrated novel as Pride and Prejudice by even more celebrated author – Jane Austen, because I neither have knowledge, no skills to deliver a balanced and worthy opinion. I’m not sure how I can criticize this novel. I cannot criticize it from today’s standpoint, because it was written two centuries ago and I cannot criticize it from the beginning of nineteen centuries’, because I neither lived at that time, no I have enough information to do so. However, I decided to make a note on all books that I’ve read.

I really loved some parts of the novel, but at the same time, I was bored till tears with other ones. I believe that this novel still has a solid place in our time, because it was actually written about people and people never really change with time. They are always driven by same instincts and emotions. It is certainly remarkable how Jane Austen could see people, how she could notice and recreate their characters. Jane Austen’s novels certainly read like a fairy tale – at the end everybody get what they deserve - and this is why I love her novels.

0 comments:

Post a Comment