Sunday, May 30, 2010

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk - Book Review #28

Sunday, May 30, 2010
Fight Club
by Chuck Palahniuk


Every weekend, in the basements and parking lots of bars across the country, young men with white-collar jobs and failed lives take off their shoes and shirts and fight each other barehanded just as long as they have to. Then they go back to those jobs with blackened eyes and loosened teeth and the sense that they can handle anything. Fight club is the invention of Tyler Durden, projectionist, waiter, and dark, anarchic genius, and it's only the beginning of his plans for violent revenge on an empty consumer-culture world.
From barnesandnoble.com

This is one of those book that people either passionately hate or love, no one can stay ambivalent. I’m in second club and yes I’m a female. I truly don’t understand why people are saying that Fight Club is a pure masculine book and only a male reader will be able to see and understand the essence. Is it because this book about the anger? I do understand anger, but I don’t think that the Fight Club is about that. Is it because this book is about the anarchism and nihilism? I can definitely relay to both of them, but still I don’t think that this book is about that. It is because this book about self- destruction? I don’t think you have to be a male to understand it and once more this book is not about self-destruction either. This book is about the search of yourself and the purpose of life. And since when it considered to be masculine and can only be understood by males?

Chuck Palahniuk’s style is like no other. It beats on your eardrums and echoes through your head. His use of sarcasm and American language (yes, I mean it, American, not English) is unique, unforgettable and powerful as a knockout. Every line in the book can be a quote and probably by this time already is. The plot twist is one of the best there is ever, I can only compare it to the twist in Six Sense.

I don’t know what else I can write to make a justice to this book. Just go ahead and read it, if you haven t yet. Read it and love it, read it and hate it, either way you will get a sensational amount of strong emotions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment