Friday, May 28, 2010

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke - Book Review #26

Friday, May 28, 2010
Inkheart
by Cornelia Funke


Twelve-year-old Meggie learns that her father, who repairs and binds books for a living, can "read" fictional characters to life when one of those characters abducts them and tries to force him into service.
From goodreads.com



I found out about this book completely by accident. I was browsing quotes on goodreads.com and found some that I really liked and never heard of. They all were from the same book – Inkheart. Therefore, I decided to check out this book, the quotes from which were so close to my heart. I almost immediately ordered it and only after that started to read people’s reviews. Many reviewers were disappointed with the book and the shadow of uncertainty inhabited my thought – maybe I’ve already read the best parts of the book – in these quotes? Finally, when I was running out of the books to read in my house, I picked it up and, oh boy, I completely disagree with those negative reviews.

I could not agree that Inkheart was too long. I think, nothing could be taking out from this novel without hurting the story. It might be too long for middle-grader, because this how this novel was classified, but let’s not underestimate our middle-graders, they read though Harry Potter and that one was much longer. Also I think an adult who enjoys fairy-tails or fantasy, would likewise enjoy Inkheart.

This book brought an atmosphere of my childhood, because this is how I grew up – among the books and stories. The description of Maggie and Mo’s house definitely remind me of my grandparent’s apartment. Maggie’s attitude towards books – unconditional love, solicitous care and probably unhealthy desire to read them all – was my attitude. And while I was reading Inkheart, quotes to each chapter from those wonderful book that I know and love since I was a child, like a shadows were lurking around the house.

However, I was a bit disappointed with the ending. I was expecting it will be something more fairy-tailish, something when everybody get what they deserve, but in my opinion the ending turned out to be realistic in the matter that everything cannot be perfect and you always have to get the consequences. On the other hand, Inkheart is only a first book in the trilogy, so who knows how it is all going to end after all. Though, I’m surprised that there are two more books, because Inkheart could be definitely a stand-along novel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment