Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater - Book Review #115

Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #2)
by Maggie Stiefvater

In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.
From goodreads.com

I picked up Linger, as I said in my review of Shiver, just out of pure curiosity - what else can Maggie Stiefvater add to the story of Grace and Sam. Linger was on my desk for months, every time moving to the bottom of the to-read pile, when new books were added there, until I finally was in the mood for something completely insignificant that requires no brain activity and would be simply a time passer. And this is precisely what Linger turned out to be.

All the problems that arose for the characters in Linger seemed to be farfetched and forced – just something to write about. Sam acted even more gay than he was in Shiver and I kept wondering when we will finally get out of the closet and stop pretending to love Grace as his girlfriend. Grace was still boring and plain, so plain that I sometimes was completely forgetting about her existence. Isabel was much more significant character than Grace, even though quite far from interesting as well. Cole was a bit of fresh air in this insignificant cast of unnoticeable characters – at least he had some personality.

The only really interesting aspect for me in Linger was further unveiling of werewolves’ origins: is it a disease, how it works, is it curable. I still enjoyed, at times utterly bizarre, Maggie Stiefvater’s original takes on werewolves.

This time, with Linger, Maggie Stiefvater didn’t wrap the story into the happy ending and finished the book on a cliffhanger. However, it is hard to pretend that any sensible person couldn’t guess how this story is going to end. The only mystery is details.

Conclusion: Linger was what I expected it to be – mindless, numb time passer. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mean to call Linger a bad book. I’m just trying to describe it as what it was for me. And I’m a strong believer that each and every book can find its audience whether in different people or in the same people in different moods or at different periods of their lives. So…nothing to see…moving along…

0 comments:

Post a Comment