Friday, September 3, 2010

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins - Book Review #77

Friday, September 3, 2010
Mockingjay
by Suzanne Collins

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she’s made it out of the bloody arena alive, she’s still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what’s worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss’s family, not her friends, not the people of District 12. Powerful and haunting, this thrilling final installment of Suzanne Collins’s groundbreaking The Hunger Games trilogy promises to be one of the most talked about books of the year.
From goodreads.com

Do you know the feeling of sad silence when you finishing the last book in the series? The quite emptiness of leaving friend – moving to another city, state, country; the end of an era; stiffness in the throat; the heart ache and some tiny contracting hole in your chest? And your whole life just suddenly divided with invisible, but impossible to deny line on the before and the after. Everything that you carefully build and created is behind that line and there is no coming back. The only road you have is to move forward finding new books – friends, building and creating your new surroundings. Do you know this feeling of something ending, something that you loved and cherished for a long time? I do. However, my experience with The Hunger Games ending wasn’t like that at all.

I never was a big fan of The Hunger Games. I picked up the first book only out of curiosity – what so many people are so excited about? It wasn’t a bad novel, but I can’t say that I was in love with it and couldn’t imagine my existence without it. The second book – Catching Fire left me disappointed. So naturally I wasn’t one of these people who were counting days and hours before Mockingjay – the last installment – is released. Still I didn’t stay completely indifferent, because I pre-ordered it three days before the release and I started reading it the next day it arrived – as soon as I finished my previous book.

So what can I say? It was ok. No, I still don’t think that this is the best thing since sliced bread and I’m still not the biggest fan. I guess that’s why I don’t have this separation anxiety and my live didn’t get divided on before and after. Probably that’s why I’m not either angry or happy with the ending, though I found it unrealistic and utopian (utopian ending in the dystopia book, isn’t it ironic?). I accepted Suzanne Collins’s reasoning of the ending she choose and I actually liked that she gave us, readers, rationalizations and didn’t left us in front of the fact- this is what it is and it is this way, because I’m the writer – like a lot of authors do.

I will always remember this book as one of these books when I wasn’t on the same train as millions of people, feeling sort of left out on the platform, watching the speeding out train in the smoke and the dust and always wondering what did I miss; always curious about the hole in myself that might have being filled in with something if I were on that train. So it seems no matter where you are – on the departing train or on the platform – you will still be always left out with the hole, the emptiness of something ending…

0 comments:

Post a Comment