Monday, September 13, 2010

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare - Book Review #80

Monday, September 13, 2010
City of Glass
by Cassandra Clare
To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters -- never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadow-hunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadow-hunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her new found powers to help save the Glass City -- whatever the cost?

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the final installment of the New York Times bestselling trilogy The Mortal Instruments.
From goodreads.com

When I was reading City of Glass the above synopsis still was a true one – City of Glass was “the final installment of the New York Times bestselling trilogy The Mortal Instruments”. Now they changed it to the third installment, at least on barnesandnoble.com. So when I flipped the last page I was left with a one raised brow and a lot of confusion – there were so many plot lines that haven't been resolved and even new one was added at the end of the book, reminding hooks for the next installment. I couldn’t believe that any writer and/or editor can be so sloppy, leaving out so many loose ends. So my initial impression about City of Glass was quite disappointing. In a month or so, after I finished this book, I found out that there is going to be another book in these series and then, I think in August, I hear that there is going to be a total of six books in The Mortal Instruments series. Do you want to know my reaction?

I was furious. I hate when something like this is happening. I’m fine when it is unknown how many books will the series include. I’m fine when it is announced that there is going to be ten, thirty or tree books in the series (the number is not important to me). However, I hate the series are constantly expanding, every time announcing another book as a final one.

Other than that, I enjoyed the series. I’m not saying there weren’t any flaws, nothing is flawless. At times it dragged, at time it didn’t make much sense. However, in general I liked the world Cassandra Clare is created. It wasn’t too original, but it was colorful and appealing.

I think City of Glass could have been a good last installment, if Cassandra Clare, or whoever it was, didn’t decide to expand it. It would be a solid, logical ending (if she would write 20-50 more pages wrapping everything loose up). Alas, we have tree more books ahead of us. I’m not certain yet, but I think I still will be checking out these upcoming books, maybe Cassandra Clare can prove me wrong and show me how expanded at the last moment series can be a decent one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment