Friday, June 18, 2010

Dead until Dark by Charlaine Harris - Book Review #36

Friday, June 18, 2010
Dead until Dark
by Charlaine Harris



Sookie Stackhouse is just a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. Until the vampire of her dreams walks into her life-and one of her coworkers checks out....
Maybe having a vampire for a boyfriend isn't such a bright idea.
From goodreads.com

I don’t know what kind of impression would this book make on me if I didn’t watch True Blood first and I guess I would never know now. I loved True Blood. Alan Ball and HBO are as usually amazing, juicy and mind blowing. But back to the book…

I wasn’t always happy with Charlaine Harris’ writing. Sometimes I would put the book down and exclaim: “No, this woman cannot write!” Especially the action scenes were written, to put it gently, somewhat peculiar. For whatever reason her writing wasn’t flowing for me, but I rather was choking on it. Nevertheless, I always picked up the book and continue reading.

I cannot say anything how good or not was the suspense, because I knew from the TV series who was the killer. However, I definitely enjoyed the mix of paranormal and suspense. It actually surprised me how much I fell in love with the world created by Charlaine Harris. For me, it was an original point of view on the world where vampires were out (out of the coffin).

But mostly I was surprised how much I loved Sookie with all her imperfections and flaws. I never thought I could like a character as unintelligent and simpleton as Sookie was. I thought her lack of style, her simple mindedness and the only interest of sunbathing would enormously bother me. But I loved Sookie with all her southern odor, possibly because she was so unexpectedly original to me.

I’m grateful to Charlaine Harris for the ajar door to the wonderful and crazy, so familiar and completely unpredictable, colorful and unique world. And I’m off to read the second book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment