Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Red is for Remembrance by Laurie Faria Stolarz - Book Review #8

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Red is for Remembrance
by Laurie Faria Stolarz

I know you're alone . . .

Since Jacob's disappearance, Stacey has been trying to move on with her life. With a full scholarship, she begins classes at Beacon University, which her best friend Amber is also attending. But Stacey still misses Jacob and can't quite accept that she'll never see him again.

The president of Beacon introduces Stacey to his fourteen-year-old daughter Portia, who is struggling with her own nightmares that foretell murder. The two become friends as Stacey helps the young girl cope with her frightening premonitions. They work together to find the boy in Portia's dreams—locating him in a cult-like community. Despite their innocent goal to live peacefully without technology and material goods, there's a dark side to this community. And one of the members, Shell, looks remarkably like someone Stacey used to know . . .

Red is for Remembrance the fourth and the final book in the Blue is for Nightmare series was a bit of set back, comparing to the third book – Silver is for Secrets, but nevertheless I enjoyed this book and think it was a good ending for the series.

One of the setbacks was the lack of mystery – on the third page, I knew for ninety percent how the book is going to end. And on the thirtieth page, I knew that for one hundred percent. However it didn’t repel me from the book and I was still interested how the characters will get to the point that I thought they would get at the end of the book.

In general, I did like the whole series and I don’t regret buying all four books almost blindly. At that point I didn’t know what the book where about, but titles of the books and covers cought my eye. I was instantly in love with covers – elegant, simple and unusual. And titles made me want to read those books without first reading the synopsis on the back cover, it made me want to find out for myself what Blue is for Nightmare, White is for Magic, Silver is for Secrets and Red is for Remembrance actually meant.

Also this series were appealing to me, because it introduced me to the concept of Wicca. Yes, I never heard about it – I live in my own world. Of course I saw Practical Magic movie, but I never knew that there was the whole religion… movement going on.

I would definitely recommend those books to any teenagers or young at hearts who loves mystery and romance, horror and humor and also to those who is interested in witchcraft. Yes, those books have it all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment