Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Top Ten Rebels in Literature - Top Ten Tuesday #2

Tuesday, July 5, 2011
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.


Top Ten Rebels in Literature (characters or authors) in no particular order:

• Romeo and Juliet from “Romeo and Juliet” by William Shakespeare were probably the fist lovers in the history of literature to rebel against their family and to follow their hearts.
• John Galt from “Atlas Shrugged” by Ayn Rand the character who led a revolt against leaches, people who do not create anything and what to live off creators such as John Galt himself, shaming them in the process
• Bilbo Baggins from “The Hobbit or There and Back Again” by J.R.R. Tolkien was the first hobbit ever to go on adventure, a rebel against the tradition of his people.
• D-503 from “We” by Yevgeny Zamyatin involuntary rebel that quite accidently “have developed a soul.”
• Lisbeth Salander from “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” by Stieg Larsson, the girl that shaked the whole Sweden, their bureaucrats and SAPO, fighting for her freedom and a chance to be herself.
• The Narrator from “Fight Club” by Chuck Palahniuk was a rebel against a desolate consumer society.
• Planet Pyrrus from “Deathworld” by Harry Harrison, the planet that revolts against its colonists.
• Peter Pan from “Peter Pan” by J.M. Barrie, the boy who refuse to grow up, a rebel against human nature.
• Holden Caulfield from “The Catcher in the Rye” by J. D. Salinger, a typical at least to me, but so carefully drawn by Salinger teen rebel against whole adult society.
• Betty Friedan with her “The Feminine Mystique” a rebel for the freedom of the half of human population. The person who described “the problem that has no name.” And a author of one of the most influential nonfiction books that started the second-wave feminism in the United States.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your choice of Bilbo Baggins! He was certainly a rebel of his kind, going against the traditions of the Hobbits. So perfect for this list.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I had Lisbeth on my list too. Did you know that Steig Larsson witnessed a girl being raped when he was 15 years old? He was consumed by the guilt that came from not coming to her rescue. The girl's name: Lisbeth. I think he made reparations. Don't you?

Nicolette said...

I should have thought of Bilbo... The hobbit is one of my all time favourite books. Great choices.

LBC said...

I love that you have We on here. I haven't read it for so long I wouldn't have been able to remember the characters enough to include it, but I do remember really liking it.

Check out my list at The Scarlet Letter .

KarenSi said...

I picked I-330 from We instead just because she was already a member of the rebellion. I did think about D-503 though.

Ovrelia said...

Bibliothec and Nikki, thank you, I like Bilbo myself.

Anne, no I didn't know about it and I'm not sure if I would call it reparation, rather an influence maybe.

LBC, I read We quite recently, last year, and it made a great impression on me, it instantly went to my all time favorites list.

Karen, I didn't picked I-330 for the precise same reason as you did :) I liked D-503 accidental participation in that much more.

Post a Comment