Wednesday, October 13, 2010

My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent - Book Review #97

Wednesday, October 13, 2010
My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1)
by Rachel Vincent

She doesn't see dead people, but…

She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next…
From goodreads.com

My Soul to Take is a first book in the Soul Screamers series. After reading the prequel to this series I was really eager to find out more of the Kaylee’s story.

Some call this series a paranormal romance. I would have to disagree with this classification. Even though the romance takes a large part of the story, it still doesn’t dominate it like in some other series (Shiver; Hush, Hush). I would classify Soul Screamers series as the paranormal mystery, because suspense is a main focus driving this story forward. And I would have to admit – doing a pretty good job.

Rachel Vincent wrote a pretty solid, compelling story. I was pleasantly surprised with good characterization, which usually most of the YA novels lack. I liked Kaylee and Nash. I liked their relationship. I really enjoyed the relationship between Kaylee and her cousin. I adored Kaylee’s aunt and uncle, each on their own way. All the characters were unique and well developed; each of them had their own distinct personality.

However, the main asset of the story was its originality. I will not spoil it for these who haven’t read these series and won’t tell what sort of creature with what abilities Kaylee turned out to be (even though you can easily find this information, as far as I saw people telling it openly in their review, not considering that to be a spoiler). I didn’t know what Kaylee’s abilities were when I started reading My Soul to Take, so I went through a lot of paranormal creatures in my head and at the end I weren’t able to guess. The creatures that Rachel Vincent used in her story is widely known, however definitely cannot be called a cliché.

Despite all the positive aspects that I saw in the story, somehow it was missing something… an essence, a spark. I don’t even know what… Somehow, after I finished the book, my eyes didn’t flash with excitement and “wow” didn’t flew out of my mouth on the exhale. No, I can’t say that I didn’t like it, because I did. Maybe the story itself was just too simple; no, it was solid, original, suspensive, but still too simple. Maybe I was not in the mood, maybe something else… So at the end, I thought that My Soul to Take was ok, just ok and no more than that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment